Legacy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legacy Forum

A forum dedicated to the BYOND game Legacy

HomeFFL HUBPortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fiend Redux Contest

Go down 
+2
Dante
King Flapjack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
King Flapjack

Fiend Redux Contest Empty
PostSubject: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hello again, boys and girls.

Recent changes to the Fiend class have opened up a wide variety of possibilities. The main caveat of the class is that it can now switch its elemental affinity at will.

The new Fiend is capable of changing its form to correspond to any one of the eight elements: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Holy, and Dark. I won't bother going into the mechanics of the class, because I haven't seen the code to know how they work and as far as this contest is concerned they don't matter.

Here's where you guys come in. Each one of these forms needs its own icon. Currently the Fiend's form-switching is limited to a number of lousy recolors I threw together as a placeholder, until I could come up with more permanent fixtures. But not only am I not creative enough to accomplish this on my own, I'd also much rather open this up to community involvement.

So here's what we're going to do. I am going to provide to you a sheet of sprites corresponding to the 'neutral' Fiend. It's bland, featureless and boring. Your job is to customize it, make it look like it personifies the element it's supposed to represent.

That being said, there are some features that should remain standard for each of the Fiend's forms. It should, when it's finished still -closely resemble- the neutral Fiend. The basic shape and the helmet/mask/whatever should remain. The rest is open to interpretation.

For the sake of creativity, I'm going to open up a few forms to you. Ice and Fire are already covered, and Andrew has expressed interest in doing Water himself. So the rest of you may play around with the following forms:

Earth
Air
Lightning
Holy
Dark

You can make as many submissions for as many forms as you like. I would prefer that you submit the icon in a sprite sheet format, but I will also accept properly arranged .dmi files. I'll be taking submissions until the end of next Friday (the 17th), at which point the contest will be over. Whoever submits a form that I choose to use will be rewarded with recognition, praise, and possibly a free ++ class unlock or two.

Here's the neutral Fiend for you to start with. Good luck, and have fun.
Fiend Redux Contest Neutra10
Back to top Go down
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Wind Fiend   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Here's a submission that I put together on-the-fly, even though I'm not sure you'd wanna use it.

Fiend Redux Contest Windfi10
Back to top Go down
Halkel
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Nono, that won't do at all. It's not a fiend, it's a modified FF4tAY spritesheet

EDIT: Let me introduce you to the Earth Fiend:
Fiend Redux Contest Earthfiend
Back to top Go down
http://halkeldathunderhog.sheezyart.com
Szenkar
River
Szenkar

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 12:29 am

Halkel wrote:
Nono, that won't do at all. It's not a fiend, it's a modified FF4tAY spritesheet

EDIT: Let me introduce you to the Earth Fiend:
(pic)
That is totally badass. I'm going to have to make a fiend now.
Back to top Go down
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm going to re-enter with a different version of what I had posted before, and no, it's not TAY this time.

I don't know if you'd like it even this way, but I wasn't able to do a portrait, because I'm horrible with those >.>

Edit: Resized image
Edit2: I gave it the same color scheme as Barbariccia, which is also the reason I wanted to give it hair.
Fiend Redux Contest Windfi12
Back to top Go down
King Flapjack

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Okay. Since there seems to be some confusion as to what exactly I want, I'm going to go into a little more detail.

EXHIBIT A: NEUTRAL FIEND
Fiend Redux Contest Neutra10

Notice how it looks. Take note of the shape of it.

EXHIBIT B: FIRE FIEND
Fiend Redux Contest Firefi10

Notice how this one looks compared to the first. See how it has the same basic shape, the only defining feature being the horns? Sort of firey. But that's what I'm going for: the same basic shape, with a distinguishing characteristic or two that characterize the form.

EXHIBIT C: ICE FIEND
Fiend Redux Contest Icefie10

This illustrates the point even better. Compare this one to the other two. Note how it looks VERY SIMILAR but has its own unique characteristics.

That's what I'm going for. Something that looks decidedly Fiend-like but has qualities that distinguish its form. I.E. you can look at it and tell "that's the fire Fiend" or "that's the air Fiend" or whatever.

Also, ANYBODY can make AS MANY submissions for AS MANY FORMS as they want. I'll go through all of them and pick my favorites when the event is over with.
Back to top Go down
Halkel
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Basically, it must have the same base, only it has to work with the Fiend it is. Is that even possible with the Earth Fiend since it's usually an undead creature. Milon's first form could work I suppose since his head is covered by his decaying robe.
Back to top Go down
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 pm

I changed it up again, let me see if I can post the new version I came up with.

I hope it's not horrible.

Edit: Attempted a portrait. Also changed the side-view overworld because it was too big.
Fiend Redux Contest Windfi16

Last edited by Dante on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Halkel
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 pm

The helmet looks weird on the side sprites and the horns seem to shrink when he's facing towards.
Back to top Go down
King Flapjack

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Halkel wrote:
Basically, it must have the same base, only it has to work with the Fiend it is. Is that even possible with the Earth Fiend since it's usually an undead creature. Milon's first form could work I suppose since his head is covered by his decaying robe.

Base these designs on the ELEMENTS THE FIEND REPRESENTS, not the archfiend of that element.

i.e. the Earth fiend should have nothing to do with Scarmiglione. The Air fiend should have nothing to do with Barbariccia, and the Water fiend should have nothing to do with Cagnazzo. The fact that the Fire fiend looks like Rubicante is pretty much unavoidable, but it set a standard we're going to adhere to.
Back to top Go down
Halkel
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm

King Flapjack wrote:
Halkel wrote:

Base these designs on the ELEMENTS THE FIEND REPRESENTS, not the archfiend of that element.

i.e. the Earth fiend should have nothing to do with Scarmiglione. The Air fiend should have nothing to do with Barbariccia, and the Water fiend should have nothing to do with Cagnazzo. The fact that the Fire fiend looks like Rubicante is pretty much unavoidable, but it set a standard we're going to adhere to.

I get it now. All I need to do is to make the earth fiend look somewhat undead in one way or another while keeping the base intact. Better think about how to represent it.
Back to top Go down
King Flapjack

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 am

Halkel wrote:

I get it now. All I need to do is to make the earth fiend look somewhat undead in one way or another while keeping the base intact. Better think about how to represent it.

Not even undead. Just earth-y.
Back to top Go down
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:13 am

I also went ahead and attempted a lightning fiend.. But I warn you.. It's really bright.

So here goes.

Edit: Take note that this is a half-assed attempt to do a lightning fiend.

Fiend Redux Contest Lightn10
Back to top Go down
Andrew
Summer Rain
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Dante wrote:

Fiend Redux Contest Windfi16

I find this perfectly acceptable. The lightning fiend not so much. Although this wind fiend does have the whirlwind of barb. It still is good and is unique enough to satisfy my basic requirements. Although some edits would be required.
Back to top Go down
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

The tornado is just an extra state, only added because I wanted to attempt to make the tornado fit in with it.
Back to top Go down
Nielz
Admin
Nielz

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Andrew wrote:
Although some edits would be required.
Try telling him what kind of edits. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://legacygame.forumotion.net
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Also, because I see nobody else seems to want to enter the contest, I did some basic states for an earth-like fiend.

Granted, it's not great:
Fiend Redux Contest Earthf10
Back to top Go down
Nielz
Admin
Nielz

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Dante wrote:
Also, because I see nobody else seems to want to enter the contest, I did some basic states for an earth-like fiend.

Granted, it's not great:
Fiend Redux Contest Earthf10

I like this one, it's great!
Back to top Go down
https://legacygame.forumotion.net
Dante
Summer Rain
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Here is a craptastic holy fiend submission, only being posted in hopes that someone will be like "That really sucks" and makes a better one.

Fiend Redux Contest Holyfi11

Fiend Redux Contest Holyfi10

And a special state with an actual wing:
Fiend Redux Contest Holyfi13

Fiend Redux Contest Holyfi14

Adding to this, my dark fiend that was supposed to be finished last night:
Fiend Redux Contest Darkfi10

water
Fiend Redux Contest Waterf11

Last edited by Dante on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : adding a spritesheet)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiend Redux Contest   Fiend Redux Contest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fiend Redux Contest
Page 1 of 1