Legacy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legacy Forum

A forum dedicated to the BYOND game Legacy

HomeFFL HUBPortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Native Language

Go down 
5 posters

What's your native language and how old are you?
English and I'm older than 15
Native Language I_vote_lcap58%Native Language I_vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
English and I'm younger than 16
Native Language I_vote_lcap17%Native Language I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
Not English and I'm older than 15
Native Language I_vote_lcap25%Native Language I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
Not English and I'm younger than 16
Native Language I_vote_lcap0%Native Language I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
CIB
River
CIB

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:03 pm

While we're at it, I'm going to examine whether there's any relationship between the fact that we speak english in this community and the members of our community. If the percentage of young people from english speaking countries compared to the older people from english speaking countries, is larger than in non-english speaking countries, the results should speak for themselves.
Back to top Go down
Arten
Summer Rain
Arten

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:06 pm

I've always been told that it's harder for people who speak English naturally to learn a second language than it is the other way round.

Was it hard or pretty easy for you to learn English Cibby?
Back to top Go down
CIB
River
CIB

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Basic English is easier to learn than many european languages.. which is because there's not a lot of grammar, and what grammar there is, few people care about. But I think it's equally hard for a german speaking person and an english speaking person to learn, say, chinese.
Back to top Go down
pie.
Summer Rain
pie.

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Just for saying as an example of european language, learning english for me was easier to learn than french because french has a lot more rules and words(maybe) than English, therefore making it one of the most difficult languages to learn in (chinese must be way worse though).
Back to top Go down
Szenkar
River
Szenkar

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 8:15 pm

English is a pretty difficult language to fully learn because of the excessive amounts of grammar. That said, English is nice because we don't have to conjugate verbs based on the subject of the sentence, and we don't have gender articles assigned to every single noun in existence.

But there are multiple German-speaking languages in Europe and a lot of them need engineers and technologists, so I don't really mind studying a second language, even if it does assign annoying genders to every noun.
Back to top Go down
Nielz
Admin
Nielz

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 am

I learned English because I picked it up when I was still a little kid. I mean, even though English is not official language here in Belgium, it still is all over! We get American music, movies, TV shows, video games written and spoken in English. It's hard not to learn at least a little English when it pretty much dominates the world!
Back to top Go down
https://legacygame.forumotion.net
pie.
Summer Rain
pie.

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Well, in my case, English IS an official language, but my first language which is also an official language is French. I learned English majorly with videogames (yes, videogames) and TV shows, because we don't learn a lot of English at school and my parents don't speak English at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Native Language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Language   Native Language I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Native Language
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Legacy Forum :: Off-topic :: General-
Jump to: