HomeFFL HUBPortalGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Quests - Yeah!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CIB
River

PostSubject: Quests - Yeah!   Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't know if you have noticed, but as it is right now, the whole game is only a huge grind without real story or anything. So me and Nielz have been discussing an idea that shall change this: Quests.

In the real FF games, you will usually be following a story, a real story, like in a movie or something like that. It is basically not possible to implement such a story in a realistic way in FFL, since party members can join or leave at any point of the game.

Thus I've had the idea to let the player more or less create their own story. This means that he will, like now, travell across the world with a vague background story, but additionally be able to do quests along the way.

It would only be possible to start quests when you have the right amount of players. Also, if a player with a key role left in the middle of the quest, the quest would either be cancelled or another player would have to take control of that character.

We have also been thinking about implementing some sort of personality for your character. This might be based on your class, a choice you make in the beginning of the game, or even be determined by the choices you make on your quests. So, for example, when you decide not to help a poor man, your character will get more selfish and that will influence his behaviour in the later game. This might be very complex, especially designing all the different behaviours of your character in different situations might be a lot of work. But it sounds like a great idea, doesn't it?

Anyway, feedback and suggestions on this topic are welcome, hope to get some answers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 pm

It's an idea, i guess. If you can do it, then do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://halkeldathunderhog.sheezyart.com
Frying Tonight
Small Stream

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 pm

What about the whole plaguebearers story? Does that not count for anything?
Or maybe you should expand that out, you only ever learnt about it from NPCs, and lets face it...who talks to those?
As for quests, quests are a splendid idea, quests are what keep you from the true monotony of most MMORPGS, so adding something to do while trying to get some levels at the Kaipo desert would go down well.

As for creating a story for your character...it's pretty evident this is not an RPing server, and I think trying to add that element would more likely annoy players than improve the experience for them. You also get the conumdrum that a player could act completely differently over wsay than the supposed personality of the character...especially if theyre playing through again.
You coud always simplify it all by making it 'good or evil, discuss', but thats a bit tacky really. In fact, I think the whole decisions affected the outcome would be tacky. Not the principal itself, just here.

To summarise, add quests, possibly adding a backstory to the whole plaguebearers thing, as currently is just an excuse to make everyone look the same, but neither force them on the player, or have them ultimately affect the gameplay in any way. Let players grind if they want to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:55 am

Actually, Frying does have a point here. The story of FFL was the fact you were cursed to be a "Plague-Bearer" and you have to hunt down the one who layed the curse. Maybe adding a storyboard to curtain points of the game (like cutscenes) will actually expand the story out a bit more. (Pwipe might be required for Cutscenes though).

Quests are a good idea. What they'll be depends on what you want, custom Bosses or Rematches of other bosses. Mini-quests could be an idea to think about it, but they may require another copy of the area map to make it look like the mission is in progress when you accept the Terms.
Back to top Go down
Terra
River

PostSubject: great :)   Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:09 pm

you could have solo missions and mission with a team need of 2-5 people Smile
and you could possibly join forces with npc and there could be good and bad missions and maybe clan mission Smile..... ok im going a crazy but there some ideas ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xterrax.sheezyart.com/
Deficit
Summer Rain

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 am

I've suggested this on other forums but noone ever took me seriously but if you ever get around to having an original class/weapon/ uber skill/spell then this would be awesome.

The quest consists of a Temple leading under the ground kinda like babil except, its a temple, the people in a small town south of it mention greatness that lies in the bottom of the temple but can only be found by those brave enough to venture into the temple, the town itself is basic, just an inn, item shop, and a pub, so it doesn't take long to create, the look of both the town is kinda old and slowly dieing, the people mention an "Item,skill,spell,class" that can be found if one were to make it to the final floor of the temple without dieing.

Teams can be made for this, its mainly to bring people together in order to team and heres why.

There are 5 floors, each consisting of some sort of boss at the end staircase that you have to defeat, the first boss of course isn't too difficult but the temple should be made recommended for lvl 75+, each boss after the first floor gets tougher and tougher untill eventually you face the final boss which is the highest lvl of the temple, has 2-4times the hp of the bosses and deals a shitload of damage, making the item,class,skill,spell worth getting in the end while creating a chance for parties and new area's to lvl and adventure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:11 am

You mean like Uber Baal in Disgaea Deflict?
Back to top Go down
Deficit
Summer Rain

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Halkel wrote:
You mean like Uber Baal in Disgaea Deflict?
Basicly and mind spelling my name right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Halkel

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Sorry, I was ill. I fainted yesterday incase you wanna know.
Back to top Go down
Moonlite
River

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:20 pm

hmmm.... The point is to have a story, but the best thing for having a decent storyline that is flexible enough for this game is the heroes of light thing, where you acomplish quests IN ORDER to get around the world, and also, we need cut scenes!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thelordishamael
Dew Drop

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:11 pm

questiroth. quests are fun dood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox
River

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:26 pm

just stumbled on this 14 months later, whatever happened about this? it's apparent everyone was in favor of quests. and including Baal and prinny Baal would of course be nice, as a challenge for us lvl 99 people
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kakashimitsu.wapka.mobi
Reijea
Summer Rain

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   Sun May 16, 2010 5:24 am

Quests would be nice in this game. Sure, having a real storyline would be very challenging, but you could have many mini-quests. For example, in the start you could have probably 5-10 different npc's that look like your normal, everyday npc, and have them give out a quest. Whether it be the King of Baron asking you to take care of the Mist Dragon who's come back from the grave, or some lady asking you to find their dog who actually ended up in Baron castle, where the lady is located in the town.

I think small quests like these, located all over the world would be wonderful. Each one giving maybe a small prize, or some gp, maybe even a hint of xp. Like finding the dog would probably give players 100 gp, and an ether, or something. But taking down Mist Dragon would give you something like 5k exp, and maybe a weapon, probably just Kaipo's weapon, depending on what class you are.

Of course, doing this would revolutionize the entire FFL, but it would give each and every player a reason to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quests - Yeah!   

Back to top Go down

Quests - Yeah!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1